No Janitor Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
No Janitor Zone

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need some tips for work.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Walter

Walter

Need some tips for work. Empty
PostSubject: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 6:54 pm

Does anyone here do routine heavy work or workouts?

I started my cartpushing job at walmart a few days ago and at first I loved it, the hours are decent, I get 2 days off a week, an hour lunch, 9 dollars an hour wage, ect. But tonight my body feels like shit, my sinuses feel like shit and I feel dizzy and feverish when I come home. These symptoms were gone yesterday on my day off, so that's why I think the work I'm doing is causing me to feel the way I am. I just took a shower and I feel better from today but I need to figure out something before I get heat-stroke.

A. Is water or gatorade better for strenuous activity? I tried mountain dew today and even though pure sugar made me energized I think it in the end made it worse. I don't drink enough fluids that's obvious, but IDK if I'd be allowed to carry around like a thermos or a bottle or something.

B. Reccomend me fruits and brands of energy bars/energy foods I guess. To be specific I'm outside for 90% of the day sometimes in the heat, pushing ~40 pounds worth of carts on average at a time, and I don't get to sit down very often. It's not the work that's hard, I'm just worried about how wracked my body gets after I get home because it's starting to scare me.

Thanks in advance, weird place to ask but you guys are pretty cool, I'd trust you all.

I ought to clarify though, that the Carts don't weigh 40 pounds, they probably weigh more since I push like 5 at a time, and the load feels much ligther than that to push but the mass of the carts MUST be that much , at least to me it seems logical. Also doesnt help that the morons on the other side of the store hog the electric cart pusher 24/7 >_>
Back to top Go down
https://nojanitorzone.forumotion.com
Doge

Doge

PostSubject: Re: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 7:18 pm

Drink water.

Gatorade if it's cheaper.

Try using a canteen.

Refill your water every so often from your nearest water fountain.

You're going to be exposed to all sorts of shitlord walmartians, so I recommend that you wear thin gloves to work. Whether or not you're going to wear long sleeves, doesn't matter. Wear gloves.

Wear white, looser clothing to help air out your body, and maintain cool temperatures so you don't overheat.

Try and maintain a slower, yet effective approach at your job. Don't stress yourself by running or exhausting yourself.

[George]-brand shirts are really cheap shirts. 5$ for 6 or something like that in Canada, so I'm guessing you could get something like that. They make for really good work/workout shirts, and once they get ragged from all sorts of sweat, you can just feel okay about tossing them after they get worn out. By the by, Walmart sells George shirts, so you should be able to get an employee discount on them, not to mention the shirts might be thinner and easier to breathe with, especially if you wear white ones.

So yeah, Tl;dr

1. Water Canteen
2. Refill frequently (every 2 hours or so,) try using water fountain
3. Maybe pack a Gatorade for lunch/whatever 1hr food break you get
4. White George t-shirts
5. Sterile gloves / thin gloves (leather/rubber) fabric won't be a safeguard against walmartian germs
6. Gatorade for lunch, so you can get the salt Ions to stay cool and not feverish and sickly
7. Avoid shitlords, you won't get stabbed, shot, or attacked by a Miami Meth Zombie
8. Focus not just on the carts, but on the cars and pedestrians, stupid angry americans and all
9. If retard problematic walmartians are an issue, try and switch routes by taking the carts through a different path in the parking lot, especially seeing as I've seen angry Canadian walmartians in the past, especially congregating near the cart racks

Uhmmm, I don't honestly know otherwise. Try to maintain a healthy distance from everyone. Assume everyone is a filthy plebeian.

Back to top Go down
Walter

Walter

PostSubject: Re: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Doge wrote:
Drink water.

Gatorade if it's cheaper.

Try using a canteen.

Refill your water every so often from your nearest water fountain.

You're going to be exposed to all sorts of shitlord walmartians, so I recommend that you wear thin gloves to work. Whether or not you're going to wear long sleeves, doesn't matter. Wear gloves.

Wear white, looser clothing to help air out your body, and maintain cool temperatures so you don't overheat.

Try and maintain a slower, yet effective approach at your job. Don't stress yourself by running or exhausting yourself.

[George]-brand shirts are really cheap shirts. 5$ for 6 or something like that in Canada, so I'm guessing you could get something like that.  They make for really good work/workout shirts, and once they get ragged from all sorts of sweat, you can just feel okay about tossing them after they get worn out. By the by, Walmart sells George shirts, so you should be able to get an employee discount on them, not to mention the shirts might be thinner and easier to breathe with, especially if you wear white ones.

So yeah, Tl;dr

1. Water Canteen
2. Refill frequently (every 2 hours or so,) try using water fountain
3. Maybe pack a Gatorade for lunch/whatever 1hr food break you get
4. White George t-shirts
5. Sterile gloves / thin gloves (leather/rubber) fabric won't be a safeguard against walmartian germs
6. Gatorade for lunch, so you can get the salt Ions to stay cool and not feverish and sickly
7. Avoid shitlords, you won't get stabbed, shot, or attacked by a Miami Meth Zombie
8. Focus not just on the carts, but on the cars and pedestrians, stupid angry americans and all
9. If retard problematic walmartians are an issue, try and switch routes by taking the carts through a different path in the parking lot, especially seeing as I've seen angry Canadian walmartians in the past, especially congregating near the cart racks

Uhmmm, I don't honestly know otherwise. Try to maintain a healthy distance from everyone. Assume everyone is a filthy plebeian.

Thanks man. I'll look into the George T-shirts, but in additiont to being white they have to be like a collared shirt due to dress codes. I think I'll drop my black jeans and go for black dress pants, because jeans are just unecessary weight. One of my coworkers wears fingerless gloves which I initially thought were just to protect his hands but now that you say it I think they would protect against people's nasty illnesses from infecting me lol.
Back to top Go down
Doge

Doge

PostSubject: Re: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 7:33 pm

Walter wrote:

Thanks man. I'll look into the George T-shirts, but in additiont to being white they have to be like a collared shirt due to dress codes. I think I'll drop my black jeans and go for black dress pants, because jeans are just unecessary weight. One of my coworkers wears fingerless gloves which I initially thought were just to protect his hands but now that you say it I think they would protect against people's nasty illnesses from infecting me lol.

That's part of your dress code? Long sleeved collared shirts?

Dayum.

That's really fussy, collars within themselves aren't comfortable, nor do they make breathing any easier.

And the fact that 99% of collared shirts are long sleeved.

...I'd say go for a white dress shirt, with preferably shorter sleeves than what you would regularly wear as casual/fancier dress.

That way, you don't get stuck with super long sleeves that you need to roll up.

Uhhhh... I'd say preferably gloves that have fingers, because while fingerless gloves are a good start, most germ entry starts from the fingers, be it underneath the nails, or from exposed skin to the face.

Definitely go for the dress pants though, they're much lighter than jeans, try beige dress pants, so much cooler than black.

Beige dress pants aren't mainstream, and honestly are much more casual.

Seriously though, beige dress pants, a white, "long-sleeved" shirt, which you made sure has shorter sleeves, and make sure it's as thin a dress shirt as possible, you should almost be able to see your skin color through the shirt, but not quite.

PPS. really, think about full fingered gloves.
Back to top Go down
Walter

Walter

PostSubject: Re: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 7:39 pm

I might have been a bit vague on that, lol. the shirt I use isn't longsleeved, I meant like a dress shirt with a foldable collar lol.
Back to top Go down
Doge

Doge

PostSubject: Re: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Ahhhh. Okay.

I also slipped and forgot that short-sleeved dress shirts were a thing, despite owning several myself.

White button up short-sleeves, those should be your top pick.
Back to top Go down
Belgrim

Belgrim

PostSubject: Re: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 8:59 pm

If you are still having sinus issues, you can make lemon tea with ginger root added. The recipe should be somewhere on the Internet. It doesn't taste bad either in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Walter

Walter

PostSubject: Re: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 9:14 pm

Belgrim wrote:
If you are still having sinus issues, you can make lemon tea with ginger root added. The recipe should be somewhere on the Internet. It doesn't taste bad either in my opinion.

I'll have to check that out too, thanks for the suggestion. I love stuff with a kick anyway. Hopefully drinking it in the morning will prevent it, if not I'll just make a routine along side showering as soon as I get home.
Back to top Go down
Swoonis
Graphic Designer
Swoonis

PostSubject: Re: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 10:36 pm

Swoonis prefered energy drinks:

Rip it: works well, and costs only a dollar. Most of these taste pretty meh, but not bad.

Venom: even BETTER than Rip it for the same price. acquired taste

Monster: 0 calories is best. I'm told original monster is an acquired taste. Luckily there's a variety of different flavors and types. You can usually get these on sale at gas stations 2 for 4.

RED BULL: PRICY as a motherfucker, but I go out of my way for it on certain occasions because it has the best kick, and I enjoy the flavor. 0 cal is my fav of course.

4c energy packets with taurine: Not a traditional energy drink, but you can add these bad-boys to water. THEY ARE VERY STRONG. If you over-do it you will be jittery. It takes a while to warm up to the flavors, but I find myself craving them from time to time. Cheapest store-bought option.

I avoid coffee or milk-heavy variations of the above because they make me need to poo.

If you want to go ULTRA cheap, buy the active ingredients individually

Caffeine pills:

6 cents per 200 mg, which is a little more than most brands of energy drink

http://www.amazon.com/ProLab-Caffeine-Maximum-Potency-100-Count/dp/B0011865IQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429846210&sr=1-1&keywords=caffeine

Taurine powder

22 cents a serving (2500 mg, which is 2.5x the amount in energy drinks)
http://www.amazon.com/BulkSupplements-Pure-Taurine-Powder-Kilogram/dp/B00ENSLW7A/ref=sr_1_2_m?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429846328&sr=1-2&keywords=taurine+powder

B-vitamin complex

4 cents a pop. (no word on the dosage)

http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Made-Super-Complex-Tablets/dp/B005D0DTS2/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429846503&sr=1-1&keywords=b+vitamin+complex
Back to top Go down
Walter

Walter

PostSubject: Re: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. EmptyFri May 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Update after a week, I'm feeling much better. The gatorate helped for a bit but after a while I've found that while it'd be a great help I don't need it. Still gonna stock up on it when my money from Amazon comes in.

@Swoonis, I'll check out the B-vitamin stuff, only because Caffiene doesn't really do it for me. It seems to do bad stuff to my body when i'm doing strenuous work lmao.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some tips for work.   Need some tips for work. Empty

Back to top Go down

Need some tips for work.
Page 1 of 1